Tuesday, July 10, 2007

SGT Olsen reports to 3rd Div. HQ/Stn. 1 - Yishun

*Gong* All Ye Hail Emperor Superstar! The Emperor Thpeaketh!

Yesterday, I worked my first 24-hour shift. I was unaware that my shift was to start yesterday, itself; and I stupidly reported to HQ having only slept for 3 hours the night before. I swear I thought it'd be a breeze on the first day. *Buzzer sounds* Wrong!

By the late afternoon, my body was preparing to shut down. The lack of sleep and ample nourishment left me feeling weak and giddy for most parts of the day. I stuck with SGT Musa, who taught me the ways of life at Yishun Fire Station. I shit you not. It's no joke!

Yishun Fire Station only opened for operation in the year 2005 and by now, they've managed to win the award, 'Best Fire Station in Singapore', for 2 years and running. There are plans to retain the title for another year at least. No other station in Singapore has ever accomplished this much before, and Yishun Fire Station is only 2 and a half years old! All this is owed to the very dedicated personnel and scary-assed OC, CPT Raihan.

He had briefed me on what to expect and what would be expected of me. The dude was expressionless. Almost void of life or emotion. He even admitted to being the strictest OC around, but he did claim to enjoy fishing with his men while off-duty. I wouldn't know how much of THAT is true. Well. I'd find out soon enough.

After dinner at the station, we proceeded for a night lecture. The lecture had hardly begun before the coded alarm sounded. Everyone leapt out of their seats and slid down the pole. I took the stairs. *Laughs* I was too nervous and scared. It was my first turn out.

We had a kitchen fire on our hands, in one of the flats at Yishun's HDB area. It didn't take much to put out the fire but the kitchen was pretty badly burnt. We communicated with the owners of the residence and the police. We also spent some time investigating on site to determine if the fire was to be considered accidental or incendiary. After much, it was official. The fire was classified as accidental. We packed up and left.

There were still a lot of things to be done when we got back. And by this time, I was already begging God for mercy! I went to bed at 2 a.m. and I prayed we wouldn't get another call. The rest of the night turned out to be peaceful. Thank You, God!

I got up at 5 this next morning for 'area cleaning' and then morning exercise. Equipment drills and then BTM drills were conducted after. By 8 a.m., we were already handing the shift over to the next rota. The one Mitchel belongs to. We sat down for a briefing while Mitchel's rota conducted a PPE check. Finally, we handed over the engine/vehicles and equipment before knocking off at around 10 a.m.

Oh yes. Believe it or not, but it's customary for my men to address me as 'Encik' while on-duty. I'm not worthy but rules are rules. I went out for breakfast with 2 of them. We then sat down for a couple of smokes and some chit-chat. They call me 'Nick' while off-duty, and that's cool!

I knocked out on the couch, immediately upon arriving back home! I was so exhausted!

Well, that's it for now, my good people. Just so you know what I'll be doing till I pass out from National Service. Ciao all!

P.S. This was written for those who wanted an update. I personally didn't find it much interesting but, for your benefit, all the same =)

The Emperor Hath Thpoken! *Gong*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home